ELA Performance-Level Descriptors
Grades 3-11PARCC reports results according to five performance levels that delineate the knowledge, skills, and practices students are able to demonstrate:
- Level 1: Did not yet meet expectations
- Level 2: Partially met expectations
- Level 3: Approached expectations
- Level 4: Met expectations
- Level 5: Exceeded expectations
Performance level descriptors (PLDs) indicate what a typical student at each level should be able to demonstrate based on his/her command of grade-level standards. In English language arts (ELA)/literacy, the PLDs at each grade level are written for the two assessment claims of reading and writing.
Reading ClaimFor the reading claim, the performance levels at each grade level are differentiated by three factors:
- Text complexity
- The range of accuracy in expressing reading comprehension demonstrated in student responses; and
- The quality of evidence cited from sources read
This is an innovative departure from how ELA/literacy performance level descriptors have been written in the past, but reflective of the Common Core's emphasis on a student's ability to find text-based evidence for generalizations, conclusions, or inferences drawn and consistent with PARCC’s Cognitive Complexity Framework for ELA/Literacy.
The Cognitive Complexity Framework guides item development and recognizes that text complexity and item/task complexity interact to determine the overall complexity of a task.
Download the framework:
Writing ClaimFor the writing claim, PLDs are written for the two sub-claims:
- Written expression
- Knowledge of language and conventions
Factors differentiating the performance levels for writing include how consistently and fully students develop ideas, including when drawing evidence from one or more sources, how well they organize their writing, and their command of grammar and language usage.
Performance Level Descriptors
The PLDs are available below to download and review by grade level, grade band or as a complete package.
Performance Level Descriptors by Grade
- PARCC Grade 3 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 4 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 5 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 6 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 7 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 8 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 9 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 10 Performance Level Descriptors
- PARCC Grade 11 Performance Level Descriptors