Keep up with what's happening at PARCC.
This page will provide the most up-to-date guidance for schools and districts about the administration of the PARCC assessments.
Since work began on PARCC in September 2010, great strides have been made by the PARCC states in developing next generation assessments based on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Among other milestones, the design of both the assessments and the technology infrastructure needed to deliver them has been finalized, test development is well underway, and item prototypes have been released. PARCC has also made progress in drafting and releasing test administration policies for public comment – including policies for students with disabilities who need accommodations.
As the work continues, PARCC is committed to keeping stakeholders and policy makers informed. To that end, the March 2013 guidance is the first in a series of publications that PARCC intends to release over the coming months; all publications will be designed specifically to assist state and local policy makers prepare to administer PARCC assessments in 2014-2015.
The March 2013 guidance includes information for schools and districts about:
1) The design of PARCC’s English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics assessments;
2) The number of testing sessions and approximate testing time;
3) The number of days over which schools may administer the assessments (testing window);
4) “Rule of thumb” guidance for the number of computer devices needed to administer the assessments; and
5) A new tool designed to assist local policy makers and educators build the technology capacity they need to administer PARCC’s computer-based assessments in 2014-15.
The information provided will continue to be refined after PARCC reviews results of several research studies currently underway and a large-scale field test scheduled for Spring 2014. That said, major changes are not anticipated. Local educators can be confident that this information can be used to:
1) Develop general scheduling plans for the assessments in 2014-2015; and
2) Determine whether they may need to acquire additional devices and/or bandwidth to administer computer-based forms of the assessments in an efficient and timely fashion.
March 2013 Assessment Administration Guidance
• PARCC Assessment Administration Capacity Planning Tool: This tool, an Excel Spreadsheet (.xlsx format), is designed to assist district and school leaders in identifying gaps in assessment administration capacity and exploring possible scenarios for addressing those gaps. Printable PDF versions are provided below for review purposes. Calculations need to be performed in the above Excel Spreadsheet version.
• User’s Guide for PARCC Assessment Administration Capacity Planning Tool: This guide walks through the Assessment Administration Capacity Planning Tool step-by-step to support school and district leaders in using it and interpreting the results.
• Assessment Administration Guidance: This memorandum provides school and district leaders and policy makers with important details about the design of PARCC’s English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics assessments, the number of testing sessions and approximate testing time, the number of days over which schools may administer the assessments (testing window), and some “rule of thumb” guidance for the number of computer devices needed to administer the assessments.
• Frequently Asked Questions: Assessment Administration Guidance and Capacity Planning Tool: Find answers to frequently asked questions about the PARCC capacity planning tool and related guidance.
Future Assessment Administration Guidance
• Anticipated Schedule for Release of Future Guidance: See this document for more information on when PARCC expects to release future guidance to schools and district.
Previously Released Assessment Administration Guidance
• PARCC Calculator Policy (adopted July 2012) (PDF)
|PARCC Capacity Planning Tool||PARCC Capacity Planning Tool|
|Capacity Planning Tool – Print Version||Capacity Planning Tool – Print Version|
|Small Elementary Example – Print Version||Small Elementary Example – Print Version|
|PARCC Assessment Admin Tool FAQ||PARCC Assessment Admin Tool FAQ|
|User Guide||User Guide|
|PARCC Assessment Administration Guidance||PARCC Assessment Administration Guidance|